What is it?
- Simply a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt
- Commonly used throughout the Southern US, as well as other countries
- It's not meant to replace yeast or plain flour -> In fact, it is recommended to not combine with any other "leavening agent"
- Common for "quick-rise" items (biscuits, pancakes, cupcakes, etc.)
- You can read more about its use and history here or here
How to make / substitute
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 0.25 tsp fine salt
- Mix together as evenly as possible - whisking will help
- Ratio should be 2:1 for self-rising flour : brown sugar
- 1 (US) Stick of Butter = 8 Tbsp.